Rebuilding the 1915 and 1916 Kingston Model L Carburetors
Ford was busy revamping the exterior “look” of the Model T Ford in 1915 model year. At the same time, subtle mechanical improvements were being implemented. The Kingston Model L carburetor was introduced about the same time as the new model and fiscal year. Because of its lower fuel inlet Ford engineers specified the Kingston L be used exclusively in the new Center Door Sedan, coupled with a longer intake pipe and heat tube which positioned the carburetor lower for better fuel flow.
The Kingston L is a relatively simple design. It has a main jet that is adjustable from the firewall mounted control in the passenger compartment. There is a “flapper” air valve that helps improve throttle response. The all cast brass / bronze design is sturdy and not typically susceptible to cracks. Let’s see what it takes to rebuild one.
We started by taking the float bowl apart from the rest of the carburetor. Our cork float was broken which is typical, and likely the reason the carburetor has been sitting on a shelf instead of being used on a car. We ordered a gasket kit and a replacement float from Lang’s.
We disassembled the carburetor. All the brass / bronze parts went into the Berryman’s carburetor cleaning solution. After 24 hours they were rinsed with hot water and the brass parts were polished.
We got very lucky on the 1916 carburetor, it’s main problem seemed to be excessive dirt, and the fact that some small rodent built a furry home in the inlet area using what appeared to be cotton seat stuffing. The cork float looks like new.
We ran the two newly rebuilt carburetors to make sure that there were no leaks. Both worked very well. The two carburetors both seem to run best with the mixture set at 3/4 turn from closed once the car warms up. Both run great and crank start easily.