Adjusting the Model T Ford Transmission

This is the place to share what you did with your Model T today, or any day.
Auto Inn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Adjusting the Model T Ford Transmission

Post by Auto Inn » 19 Aug 2017, 15:00

See the new article here:
https://modeltfordfix.com/adjusting-the ... nd-clutch/

Discuss below by hitting the "Reply" button.
1910 Touring
1914 Touring
1915 Touring
1917 Torpedo Runabout

Tom Hicks
Registered Member

Re: Adjusting the Model T Ford Transmission

Post by Tom Hicks » 19 Aug 2017, 15:25

EXCELLENT ARTICLE! I have found the relationship between the parking brake lever, clutch, low gear, and neutral to be very frustrating. Too many inter-related moving parts affected by wear and replacement parts with tolerances that differ from factory. This is the best article I have seen on the subject and I wish I had found it three months ago.

26troadster
Registered Member

Post by 26troadster » 20 Aug 2017, 01:10

I need that information. That's easier to understand than some of the other institutions for neutral free adjustment. tomorrow I am going to work on neutral free in my new to me 26 coupe. Now it's not free at all.

Denny
Registered Member

Post by Denny » 20 Aug 2017, 10:03

Great and timely article as I need to make adjustments on my transmission and free neutral. Can I print this article to take out to the shop as a guide or is protected by copyrights?

Tom Hicks
Registered Member

Post by Tom Hicks » 20 Aug 2017, 10:48

Something I found, but did not see in the article - If you disconnect the parking brakes the cam on the control lever will not engage. At least that is how mine was, and it drove me crazy because I did not know the parking brakes had to be hooked up in order to adjust the neutral.

A question on "free neutral". Is free neutral the space on the clutch pedal between low and high when you the control lever is full forward?

Auto Inn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auto Inn » 20 Aug 2017, 11:37

You are free to print it for your own use. That does not constitute copy right infringement.
Denny wrote:
20 Aug 2017, 10:03
Great and timely article as I need to make adjustments on my transmission and free neutral. Can I print this article to take out to the shop as a guide or is protected by copyrights?
1910 Touring
1914 Touring
1915 Touring
1917 Torpedo Runabout

Auto Inn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auto Inn » 20 Aug 2017, 11:38

You are correct sir.
Tom Hicks wrote:
20 Aug 2017, 10:48
A question on "free neutral". Is free neutral the space on the clutch pedal between low and high when you the control lever is full forward?
1910 Touring
1914 Touring
1915 Touring
1917 Torpedo Runabout

ndnchf
Registered Member

Post by ndnchf » 21 Aug 2017, 12:40

Great article, really helpful in understanding a confusing procedure. I only wish the photos were larger and a little clearer. On my computer they take up less than 1/3 of the screen. My eyes are kind of tired and need all the help they can get. Thanks!

Tom Hicks
Registered Member

Post by Tom Hicks » 21 Aug 2017, 12:50

ndnchf wrote:
21 Aug 2017, 12:40
Great article, really helpful in understanding a confusing procedure. I only wish the photos were larger and a little clearer. On my computer they take up less than 1/3 of the screen. My eyes are kind of tired and need all the help they can get. Thanks!
Does your computer have "zoom"? With mine, I can put the page I want on the screen and go to the top right where there are three dots like this ... I click on the three dots and the third item down is zoom. I can click that to make the page larger or smaller. It gets plenty big for even my eyes at 250% !

ndnchf
Registered Member

Post by ndnchf » 22 Aug 2017, 06:27

Tom Hicks wrote:
21 Aug 2017, 12:50
ndnchf wrote:
21 Aug 2017, 12:40
Does your computer have "zoom"? With mine, I can put the page I want on the screen and go to the top right where there are three dots like this ... I click on the three dots and the third item down is zoom. I can click that to make the page larger or smaller. It gets plenty big for even my eyes at 250% !
No dots like that. I can change the display resolution, but that's a pain and doesn't really solve the problem. The issue seems to be formatting of the page. The article text and photos are mostly to the left side of he page, it does not take up the full page. Since the photos are small, they are scrunched down even further.

Don't get me wrong, its a great article (as are all of them), I'm very grateful for it. I think its just a formatting or page layout issue. It could probably be easily fixed by the webmaster and make viewing easier for everyone. Here is a screen shot of what I see. It takes up just a little more than half of the page.
Attachments
fix.JPG
fix.JPG (40.96 KiB) Viewed 1198 times