Start for a Gow Job

This is where speedster stuff is discussed and explained.
Chad_Marchees
Registered Member

Re: Start for a Gow Job

Post by Chad_Marchees »

Been awhile I know. I have actually posted some progress on another type of forum. So lets see if we can catch up a bit.

I Straightened and finished two of the wheels. I think they look great, but Blue is my favorite color....just two more to do.....
Speedster project 34.1.jpg
Speedster project 34.1.jpg (65.43 KiB) Viewed 1143 times

Then using some left over chunks of framerail from another T project, I built a Jig for the body so I could work on it in the basement which is promising to be a long cold winter.
Speedster project 35 body jig.jpg
Speedster project 35 body jig.jpg (69.78 KiB) Viewed 1143 times
Speedster project 37 body jig.jpg
Speedster project 37 body jig.jpg (41.91 KiB) Viewed 1143 times
Speedster project 36 body jig.jpg
Speedster project 36 body jig.jpg (70.15 KiB) Viewed 1143 times

And starting setting up to rewood the body....I haven't gotten very far with this, because it is a HUGE pain in the rear.
Speedster project 38 body jig.jpg
Speedster project 38 body jig.jpg (98.8 KiB) Viewed 1143 times

Chad_Marchees
Registered Member

Post by Chad_Marchees »

As I said, the rewooding is a HUGE pain. After cutting up a lot of good ash just to make three pieces, I have finally turned to some cheaper fir 2"x6"...at the very least to make good full patterns.

My remnants were rotted away just above the sills, and I am working with a set of new sills I was given that may or may not have the slots for the uprights cut properly...at least he did cut them in the right spots the best I can tell. So between all of that and using a set of Mel Miller plans which also don't quite match, it has been quite the challenge.

Speedster project 41.jpg
Speedster project 41.jpg (73.62 KiB) Viewed 1143 times
Speedster project 42.jpg
Speedster project 42.jpg (92.37 KiB) Viewed 1143 times
Speedster project 43.jpg
Speedster project 43.jpg (76.82 KiB) Viewed 1143 times
Speedster project 44.jpg
Speedster project 44.jpg (73.13 KiB) Viewed 1143 times
Speedster project 45.jpg
Speedster project 45.jpg (74.67 KiB) Viewed 1143 times

Chad_Marchees
Registered Member

Post by Chad_Marchees »

I also managed to get my front end painted and together. But again, like any project, it is not without issues.

The first thing I realized very quickly is that is that the spindle pin kit that I tried to cheap out on sucks. It contained steel backed bronze plated (or so it looked like) bushings that when reamed, took all of the bronze out...as well as most of the lube grooves. Second, even though advertised for, the spindle pin itself will not work properly with with Model A spindles, because the bearing on those goes on top and there is no real support on this type of pin. Live and learn, it's good enough for mock up, I bought a old NOS pin and bushing kit to use on final assembly.

Painting up some parts
Speedster project 39.jpg
Speedster project 39.jpg (64.96 KiB) Viewed 1143 times
Speedster project 40.jpg
Speedster project 40.jpg (77.66 KiB) Viewed 1143 times

Getting it all together. Because I kept the stock front crossmember and I extended the new front crossmember 4" forward, I discovered my tie rod was going to interfere. So I made a dip in it. I may have to trim a little still off the original crossmember though. Getting the engine in will help me verify that better. The photo is a little deceiving.

Another issue I had, was my reproduction tie rod body ends did not fit. I struggled and struggled, and sought out much advise. Finally after the weekend of wondering what was going on, I called Snyder's up to see what they said. Even though a year had passed by since my purchase, they took care of the situation better than I could have asked for. I mean they truly well well beyond. So that fixed that situation and the new ones went on with zero issues.
Speedster project 46.jpg
Speedster project 46.jpg (184.61 KiB) Viewed 1143 times
\

Everything all together and some mock up wheels I had around just so I can make it a roller.
Speedster project 47.jpg
Speedster project 47.jpg (160.39 KiB) Viewed 1143 times

Auto Inn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auto Inn »

Lots of nice work! The body and wood stuff would be hard for me too.
1910 Touring
1914 Touring
1915 Touring
1917 Torpedo Runabout

Chad_Marchees
Registered Member

Post by Chad_Marchees »

These are not the wheels I will be running, But I managed to get it rolling last month.
Speedster project 59.jpg
Speedster project 59.jpg (99.43 KiB) Viewed 967 times

Chad_Marchees
Registered Member

Post by Chad_Marchees »

Updated: mostly junk parts bolted on just so it looks like something. The wheels are a second set and are just rollers...way to fragile to actually use. Engine is just a mock up, totally unusable.

Speedster project 108.1.jpg
Speedster project 108.1.jpg (223.83 KiB) Viewed 463 times
Speedster project 109.1.jpg
Speedster project 109.1.jpg (219.76 KiB) Viewed 463 times

Auto Inn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auto Inn »

I like the blue - hope it is the real wheel color.
1910 Touring
1914 Touring
1915 Touring
1917 Torpedo Runabout

Chad_Marchees
Registered Member

Post by Chad_Marchees »

Auto Inn wrote:
23 Apr 2020, 16:56
I like the blue - hope it is the real wheel color.
It will be yes. Those are just old mock up 21" A wheels. The wheels I posted above in my Nov 19, 2019 post are the 19" wheels I will be using and the actual color. Both the blues while similar are hard to capture accurately in photos. The body and frame will remain black.