1912 Flanders 20 Runabout - Model T Competitor

Share your automotive related stories, historical photos, and other topics that you think may be of interest to the community. Please - no off topic posts.
cudaman
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

1912 Flanders 20 Runabout - Model T Competitor

Post by cudaman »

Royce, I don't know if you've been following it elsewhere, but I've pretty much finished the cosmetic spruce-up of my 1912 Flanders 20 runabout. I'm waiting for R.V. Anderson to finish the restoration of the coil box so that I can finish up the wiring and get the car ready for fire-up.

Based on electronic copies of original factory literature, the car would have originally been dark blue with cream wheels and undercarriage. A prior owner apparently dolled it up with its current maroon paint job. It has its original 155 cubic inch four cylinder engine and leather cone clutch. The transmission is a three speed transaxle. Ignition is a dual system using batteries for starting and a Splitdorf low tension magneto and a step-up coil on the dash. Starting is by hand crank only, no starter or generator.

The Flanders 20 was built in the old Deluxe Motor car factory just down the street from the Ford Piquette plant. Unfortunately, the factory burned to the ground in 2005. The fire was so big that there was some concern that the Piquette plant might be damaged, but fortunately the fire was brought under control before that happened.

Walter Flanders worked for a while as production manager for Ford at Piquette but resigned just prior to the introduction of the Model T to join William Metzger and Barney Everitt in the creation of EMF. EMF had a tempestuous business relationship with Studebaker, eventually resulting in Studebaker's purchase of EMF and all EMF and Flanders cars being rebadged as Studebakers starting in 1913.
Attachments
IMG_8242.JPG
IMG_8242.JPG (114.76 KiB) Viewed 600 times
Walter_E._Flanders_(American_automobile_executive).jpg
Walter_E._Flanders_(American_automobile_executive).jpg (16.67 KiB) Viewed 600 times
IMG_8265.JPG
IMG_8265.JPG (103.11 KiB) Viewed 600 times
IMG_8267.JPG
IMG_8267.JPG (104.64 KiB) Viewed 600 times
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
Auto Inn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 1912 Flanders 20 Runabout - Model T Competitor

Post by Auto Inn »

Looks very nice! I think EMF / Flanders cars were quite interesting. Studebaker was wise to purchase that company. The Bakersfield swap meet had more EMF / Flanders stuff than any other that I know of the time I was there in 2016.
1910 Touring
1914 Touring
1915 Touring
1917 Torpedo Runabout
cudaman
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: 1912 Flanders 20 Runabout - Model T Competitor

Post by cudaman »

Success! After much work and troubleshooting, my friend and I were able to get the Flanders started yesterday. The engine runs well on battery and magneto! I was able to work the clutch and work the transaxle through all three forward gears and reverse. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRKQFA6apUg&t=314s
Attachments
pre_start04.JPG
pre_start04.JPG (99.93 KiB) Viewed 71 times
pre_start03.JPG
pre_start03.JPG (92.71 KiB) Viewed 71 times
pre_start02.JPG
pre_start02.JPG (114.8 KiB) Viewed 71 times
IMG_8030.JPG
IMG_8030.JPG (104.46 KiB) Viewed 71 times
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO